Hi all,

I'm a new puppet user and new to the forum.

I just switched my Puppetmaster to running inside Apache (via
Passenger). When I make a change to a resource on the master, it
sometimes takes a given node TWO runs before the master will realize
the resource has changed and recompile a new catalog version for the
node. For example, say my puppetmaster is serving configuration
version '123' to a node. I change the file permissions for a file
resource that's part of that catalog and then do a puppet run on the
node. If I'm running with Passenger, the master serves config version
'123' one more time (the agent makes no changes). The next time I run
the node's agent, the master compiles new catalog version '456' and
the agent makes the permission change.

A few items of note:

1.  This is not a problem with all changes to puppet module content.
For example, if I change the source contents of a file in the 'files'
directory of a module, the master will notice this immediately and the
puppet agent on the node will grab the new file on the first run
following the change on the master.

2.  At first I thought maybe this was a timing issue (e.g. I was doing
the puppet run too quickly after making the resource change) but it's
not; whether I wait 5 seconds or 5 minutes before making the first
puppet run, the master still doesn't notice the change.  I set the
'filetimeout' setting in /etc/puppet/puppet.conf to 0 and it didn't
help.

Any ideas on what's going on here? (thanks in advance for your help)

-Kent