> All good, except that in 0.25 and up (which we're slowly migrating
> to), this often doesn't work. The rest APIs require UTF-8 content, and
> keys are binary, so catalog requests fail if the key happens to
> contain bytes which aren't valid UTF-8. (http://
> projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/4832 talks about this a bit, and
> includes the observation that "So there’s a design decision after all:
> If PSON is to be JSON compatible – no binary data.".
>
> How are other people getting around this? Do you just allow all
> clients to access all keys? Is there a native type, or an auth.conf
> trick, that I'm missing? Or a more binary-friendly encoding than JSON/
> PSON ?

I also suffer from this problem distributing binary GPG private keys.
I would propose Puppet automatically base-64 encode/decode when a
parameter's value (in this case a file's content but it could be
anything) does not contain valid UTF-8 bytes.  Would that fix the
problem completely?  Would it break anything?