On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Richard Crowley <r...@rcrowley.org> wrote:

> > got the point, thought that you need one specific key on each server. So
> > that should be even simpler, use file with content and put the key in the
> > content field:
> >
> > $myKey = "-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE
> >
> KEY-----\nMIICXgIBAAKBgQDTqkVS4/iwKx8LngXQrEShlfSRtcSyOB1IjC5AIGUAJvapq9lz\n..."
> >
> > file {
> >   "/path/to/keyFile":
> >     content => $myKey;
> > }
> >
> > Put this into your Webserver class and assign the class only to the
> > Webservers.
>
> This works perfectly for PEM-formatted keys because they're ASCII,
> which is a subset of UTF-8.  Binary keys are not (usually) valid UTF-8
> and thus can't be crammed into a catalog without some encoding.

Indeed. I made a mistake in my original post; it's not the key files for
apache (which are PEM-formatted ASCII) , but rather those in Java's JKS
keystore format, that cause problems for me. I could probably create a
workaround by transferring the keys as .PEM format and then converting to
JKS on the client, but it would be a pretty fiddly solution compared to the
option of a binary-safe file() function.