On 11.11.10 10:44, Markus Falb wrote:
> On 10.11.10 22:02, Douglas Garstang wrote:
>
>> When no owner or group is specified for the file, the default owner and
>> group on the target system seems to default to the same as the owner and
>> group on the puppetmaster, if that user exists on the target system. Ie,
>> all our files under /etc/puppet are owned by the puppet user, and if I
>> don't specify a use/group on a file, they end up being owned by puppet
>> on the target.
>
> Yes, but only if the user puppet has the same uid/gid on both
> puppetmaster and target and thats not a safe assumption.

And even if the uids were in sync, you cannot safely assume that the
files on puppetmaster are owned by user puppet. I dont want puppetmaster
to be able to change manifests, it needs only read access. So I run
puppetmaster as user puppet, but the files belongs to another user.
Thats convinient in another way because if the manifests-owning user has
shell access you can edit the manifests in-place (development branch
only of course ;-)

--
Best Regards,
Markus Falb