On Dec 2, 2:56 pm, Kikanny <kika...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to run puppet using the tarball and so far, I've been
> unsuccessful. The system I'm trying to run puppet on is running RHEL
> 5.3. Now first of all, this system does not have access to internet.
> Therefore I don't have any access to any of the repositories from
> which I can download the rpms and its dependencies.

Yum repositories are accessed via a standard HTTP interface, which is
easily browsable.  Instead of downloading tarballs, I recommend you
download the needed RPMs manually, and install those.  Although it's
more cumbersome than using yum, there are enormous advantages to
installing software from packages (only) on systems that support a
standard packaging mechanism.  Not least of these is that you can be
reasonably sure that you have installed all the dependencies for each
package.

For RHEL 5, look at http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/repoview/
for a somewhat human-friendly view of the EPEL repository, or at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/ for a plain index
of that repository's contents (which include Puppet).  Change "i386"
in those URLs to "x86_64" for 64-bit RHEL.

Also, you should not need to go to a third-party repository for Ruby.
There should be a suitable version on your RHEL install media.

Good luck,

John