On 12/14/2010 7:33 AM, Tim Watts wrote:
########################
Question 2

Related:

In a simple case as per documentation:

class syslog {
    file { "/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf":
        path => "/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf",
        ensure => file,
        mode => 644,
        owner => root,
        group => root,
        notify => Service[syslog],
        source => "puppet:///files/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf"

is there no variable for the first instance of
"/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf"
???

Mentioning a string 3 times or more strikes me as unnecessarily verbose and likely to lead to typos.
Yeah your a perl guy, I do the same thing, it's force of habit. The example doesn't do a great job of highlighting that that string is actually 3 completely different things so why not use 3 different names?

class syslog {
    file { "syslog":
        path => "/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf",
        ensure => file,
        mode => 644,
        owner => root,
        group => root,
        notify => Service[syslog],
        source => "puppet:///files/base_syslog.conf"