So, I started with puppet about two years ago (December 2008).  At
the time, I was under the impression that the list of Types would
grow a lot (i.e.
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/stable/type.html ).  In fact,
the file type says:

  If you find that you are often copying files in from a central
  location, rather than using native resources, please contact
  Puppet Labs and we can hopefully work with you to develop a native
  resource to support what you are doing.

The thing is, that list hasn't actually changed all that much as far
as I can recall.

Instead, what seems to have happened is a lot of user-made modules
as the code re-use unit; using the native features of puppet
(i.e. lots of file{...} and exec{...}) to emulate new types,
essentially; see
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Puppet_Modules

I don't mean this as any kind of criticism, I'm just wondering if
this was on purpose?

The goal with puppet seemed to be a simple, declarative
configuration system, where as many things as possible were handled
with native types, and that doesn't seem to be how things have
actually gone, and I'm wondering if this represents an injection of
pragmatism or a deliberate decision.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.