On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Robin Lee Powell
<rlpow...@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:

> So, I started with puppet about two years ago (December 2008).  At
> the time, I was under the impression that the list of Types would
> grow a lot (i.e.
> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/stable/type.html ).  In fact,
> the file type says:
>
>  If you find that you are often copying files in from a central
>  location, rather than using native resources, please contact
>  Puppet Labs and we can hopefully work with you to develop a native
>  resource to support what you are doing.
>
> The thing is, that list hasn't actually changed all that much as far
> as I can recall.
>
> Instead, what seems to have happened is a lot of user-made modules
> as the code re-use unit; using the native features of puppet
> (i.e. lots of file{...} and exec{...}) to emulate new types,
> essentially; see
> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Puppet_Modules
>
> I don't mean this as any kind of criticism, I'm just wondering if
> this was on purpose?
>
> The goal with puppet seemed to be a simple, declarative
> configuration system, where as many things as possible were handled
> with native types, and that doesn't seem to be how things have
> actually gone, and I'm wondering if this represents an injection of
> pragmatism or a deliberate decision.

I don't think there's anything deliberate there.

We don't have native Ruby libraries for many of the things sysadmins
need to do, and so even when you write a Ruby type/provider, you're
often execing out to external binaries anyway.

Given the barrier to writing anything in Ruby is higher than doing the
same thing in Puppet DSL, I think it's reasonable that people are
collecting execs and files together to achieve something concrete.

Also I think people have often come to the conclusion that they need
several related types in a given problem domain, and so it becomes
natural that they distribute these as a module.