On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 07:04:19 -0800 (PST)
jcbollinger jcbollinger wrote:

Hi,

> Bug 5231 is about the lack of clarity and specificity in error
> messages about conflicts between yum repos, not about the fact that an
> error was raised in the first place. It sounds like you are expecting
> Puppet to successfully apply your manifest.  If indeed it should do
> so, then you should file a separate ticket.

Ok then, sorry for confusing things. As I have a repo conflict problem
I thought it was the same case.

> However, it's not clearcut to me that Puppet should do that.  Do
> versions of yum more recent than 3.2.22 in fact allow [main] sections
> to appear in .repo files?  Version 3.2.22 does not.  From the man page
> for yum.conf(5): "There should be only one [main] section. [...] The
> [main] section must exist" (perforce in yum.conf) "for yum to do
> anything."  If the yum configuration on your system is faulty then I
> think it reasonable for Puppet to raise an error in response.

My version is yum-2.4.1-11.slc4, its man says same as yours but I
have a main section per repo, which is "correct/acceptable" as yum works
perfectly and it's distro default. I've tested my conf  (adding some
empty main sections per repo ) in Centos 5 with yum 3.2.22 and yum
still works fine, ignoring those section.

# yum install foo
[...]
No Match for argument: foo
Nothing to do

> I assume that yum itself is not complaining, so perhaps it is silently
> ignoring the [main] sections in your .repo files.  If that's the case
> then the best workaround is probably to just remove those sections.

Ok, I will do that, but seems strange to me that puppet is failing when
yum doesn't resulting in puppet more restrictive than yum...

> Alternatively, if yum is in fact using all those [main] sections then
> you may be able to work around the problem by, for example, merging
> all the [main] sections together into yum.conf (if that's indeed
> equivalent to what yum does with them).

> Cheers,
> John
Many thanks for your reply John,