On 19 January 2011 17:41, Bruce Richardson <itsbr...@workshy.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 05:10:56PM +1100, John Warburton wrote:
> > wishes - https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/3910
>
> *Looks at discussion*  Ouch.  If the client were still allowed to
> override the environment, even when the server was explicitly set to be
> authoritative, that would make a complete nonsense of "authoritative".
> Glad the discussion has gone the other way.

This may be true for you, but not for all sites. What I am looking for is a
way to set the level of authoritativeness on the server, so that you and I
can coexist. I imagine you would set the server to always be authoritative,
where I would set it to be "let the client choose", but default to what the
server thinks if the client doesn't supply an option

That means the authoritativeness policy that works for our site (and I know
another large site that manages desktops with puppet lets the client set the
environment) won't interrupt yours

John