On Feb 11, 2011, at 20:00, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 00:40, Thorsten Biel <thorsten.b...@porsche.de> wrote:
>> On Feb 11, 2011, at 07:25, John Warburton wrote:
>>
>>> How do people get around the "common" rule that DMZ servers should not
>>> initiate network connections back to the internal network? Should we have a
>>> puppet server in the DMZ?
>>
>> Another approach is to use SSH tunnels. Use autossh to initiate SSH
>> connections from your puppetmaster to each client.
>>

> I am rather surprised: wouldn't your network security folks and
> auditors go absolutely ape when they discovered that you had punched a
> hole through their firewall to allow connections from the DMZ to a
> secure network without going through the appropriate security analysis
> process?

That's where IT and medicine are sometimes similar : ask 3 experts and
you get 3 different recommendations. :)

But to get back to the point: no, they aren't going ape. Why should they?

> Anyway, I guess my point is that while this would probably work I
> can't really see why it would bring any benefit compared to just
> punching the hole through the firewall directly: Puppet uses SSL
> secured communication, and validates the identity at both ends, so you
> have no more or less exposure than with this mechanism, so far as I
> can see?

It boils down to the question of whether you allow DMZ servers to initiate
connections into the internal (secure) zone or not.
As this could turn into a lengthy mail exchange, how about we discuss it
at Puppet Camp Europe?

Cheers,
Thorsten