On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 01:35, Thorsten Biel <thorsten.b...@porsche.de> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2011, at 20:00, Daniel Pittman wrote:
=>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 00:40, Thorsten Biel
<thorsten.b...@porsche.de> wrote:

>>> Another approach is to use SSH tunnels. Use autossh to initiate SSH
>>> connections from your puppetmaster to each client.
>>
>> I am rather surprised: wouldn't your network security folks and
>> auditors go absolutely ape when they discovered that you had punched a
>> hole through their firewall to allow connections from the DMZ to a
>> secure network without going through the appropriate security analysis
>> process?
>
> That's where IT and medicine are sometimes similar : ask 3 experts and
> you get 3 different recommendations. :)
>
> But to get back to the point: no, they aren't going ape. Why should they?

Because using SSH to create a tunnel that allows servers in the DMZ to
connect to the internal network is often considered a problem. :)

[…]

> It boils down to the question of whether you allow DMZ servers to initiate
> connections into the internal (secure) zone or not.

I think we are in agreement there, and I agree that this is probably
the end of the value in the discussion.  So, having explained why I
see the issue I am happy to, if we still do, agree to disagree. :)

Daniel
--
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
✉ Daniel Pittman <dan...@puppetlabs.com>