On 09/02/11 20:42, Kevin Beckford wrote:

    It would be non trivial to keep the configuration data isolated in
    masterless mode if you have a desire to segment and isolate
    configuration data by system, or even system roles (i.e. my website
    database system should not contain puppet manifest with my financial
    database password).

I really am trying to understand here. To me this is the thing I love about git/merc... wait, I dont love mercurial. The thing I love about DVCS is that this seems a perfect problem domain for it. You would be the master, store the total repo on your laptop and push the branches needed, where they need to go. I suppose that the logic would be in several systems instead of one, but git does distributed versioning better, surely? Please advise.
I use Puppet in a standalone mode.
I created a templating system using Perl and TemplateToolkit to create (simple) puppet manifests and configuration files I wish to manage. These are stored in a Git repo that allows me to easily see when changes are made to a servers' configuration before pushing. Rollbacks are possible too in this scenario. Clients pull via rsync - there is definitely scope for a more robust TLS transport here. The big plus side here is that I am holding every servers' set of files in a DVCS (as well as my colleagues) so we are less dependant on backups as everyone in the team will hold a fairly recent copy of the entire server farm. Tied in mainly to CentOS, I can Kickstart a server and let it pull it's own configuration and apply it in mere minutes if I was to loose a server.

As I say, manifests are fairly simple, but enough to manage files, services and other custom executables.

This was inspired by some work a guy did at Oxford University. It seems to scal very well as I am managing 180+ servers this way.

Tom