Thanks a lot Nick for the detailed response. Not sure I fully
understand yet. I dont think I can use option one because the external
classifier would does not have access to the clients facts. I will
read about parametrized classes and learn to use them, though I dont
yet see how they can solve my immediate need... I am also not sure yet
I understand option three :) Let me describe my immediate need:

I like to have a per-host module, because I love modules, so I dont
use a node definition per host, but just one default node def.

In my site.pp I set all my "global variables', then include nodes.pp
In nodes.pp, I have something like:

node 'default' {

    include "$perhost_module"

    include gu_common
    include gu_auth

$perhost_module is generated by a function in site.pp, from the $host
fact, to replace dashes with underscores.

In module gu_auth, I have templates that use a variable $auth_aaa,
which I might also need to use similarly elsewhere.

Question:
How do I set my var to a default value for all nodes, but then
customize it in the perhost module.
I can always set it to the default value in each and every perhost
module, but is there another way?

Thanks a lot.
Mohamed.