Dammit, I hit send by accident.  Anyway, the point of this is that
Nan's method is still doing lookup across classes instead of strictly
controlling the parent scopes, and I think building this as a strict
cascade where everything only looks to its direct parent is going to
get you closer to thinking in terms of parameter passing. That's the
way you should be bending your mind to be ready for the future.

Other things!
* Get rid of nodes.pp, move the default node definition to site.pp.
With as slim as this is and all the meat happening in modules
(especially once you have your class_that_includes_everything up and
running), there's no good reason to have it in two files.
* I talked to some other people in the office, and they agreed that
doing a module per machine is an idiosyncratic site design that
probably won't scale too well. While you're getting this working, I'd
suggest that you start thinking about other ways to arrange your
site.
* BTW, you CAN access fact data from an ENC. It's not an official API
(i.e. it's a filthy hack), but lots of people do it and we're looking
to make it a supported design in the future. Nodes send their fact
YAML before the ENC gets called, so you can have it read the fact yaml
out of the master's cache.