On Tue, 01 Mar 2011, Douglas Garstang wrote:
What is the best way to have an external node script that encounters an error fail? What should it do? Should it return a non zero exit code to the OS?

Yes.  I am almost sure that works.  If not, it's a bug.

Maybe it's caching something.

I think the external node classifier is not re-run if the
facts have not changed.  There's a feature request to make
it run every time.

However, it would be nice to have the client error out in such a way that I know there was a problem with the external node script loading it's info. Anyone?

Something else I have done, and that might suit you, is let the node classifier script return an almost-empty non-error result, like this:

   ---
   parameters:
     error_message: "Something is wrong"
   classes: []

Then the top-level site.pp can do something like this:

   if $error_message {
       fail("External node classifier says: $error_message")
   }

--apb (Alan Barrett)