On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 12:52 AM, luke.bigum <luke.bi...@fasthosts.co.uk>wrote:

> On Feb 28, 7:50 pm, Luis Miguel Silva
> <luismiguelferreirasi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm a software integrator and i'm currently evaluating Puppet to
> > understand how we can potentially integrate our products with it.
> > I've been reading documentation on it and i'm currently installing a
> > Puppet system but i have some questions that i was hoping someone
> > could answer?
> >
> > a) In this page, it says that Puppet Enterprise supports provisioning
> > but the documentation i've seen so far only shows the maintenance
> > aspects of Puppet?
> http://www.puppetlabs.com/puppet/puppet-enterprise/faq/
> > a.1) does Puppet do provisioning?
>
> Not in the sense that I think you're thinking of. You can't PXE boot
> and kickstart a server with Puppet - it's not a replacement for
> Cobbler. However, depending on your definition of provisioning, if you
> had a single server image that just had Puppet on it, from there you
> could continue it's installation with Puppet into some server type you
> use Puppet to describe.

I disagree with this statement. We used cobbler initially and ended up
dropping it. We tried creating cobbler profiles for systems based on a
criteria like hardware type, or machine function. However, in reality, no
two machines of the same function are ever quite the same in respect to
hardware. Anyway, it turned out to be much easier just to have puppet manage
the dhcp, tftp, kickstart configuration etc through templates and
definitions. It has turned out to be a good decision so far. Plus....
cobblers documentation is horrid.

Doug.