I'm attempting to use puppet for customing the root gecos field to use
a template to insert the local hostname for Redhat 5.5 and Solaris
10.    I'm using Puppet 2.6.4 with environments and modules and seeing
trouble that looks like end of lines not being suppressed from the
template.

class passwd {

user { "root":
        ensure => present,
        comment => template("passwd/passwd.root.user.erb"),

        }

passwd.root.user.erb contains:

Root user on <%= hostname %>

I get the following when I try to run on my clients:

Redhat 5.5:

err: /Stage[main]/Passwd/User[root]/comment: change from Root user on
brm-ut-linclient-1 to "Root user on brm-ut-linclient-1 "
 failed: Could not set comment on user[root]: Execution of '/usr/sbin/
usermod -c "Root user on brm-ut-linclient-1 "
 root' returned 3: usermod: invalid field '"Root user on brm-ut-
linclient-1 "

Solaris 10:

err: /Stage[main]/Passwd/User[root]/comment: change from SunOS Super-
User on brm-ut-sol10client-1 to "Root user on brm-ut-sol10client-1 "
 failed: Could not set comment on user[root]: Execution of '/usr/sbin/
usermod -c "Root user on brm-ut-sol10client-1 "
 root' returned 2: UX: /usr/sbin/usermod: ERROR: Invalid syntax.
usage:  usermod -u uid [-o] | -g group | -G group[[,group]...] |
                -d dir [-m] | -s shell | -c comment |
                -l new_logname | -f inactive | -e expire |
                -A authorization [, authorization ...] | -K
key=value ... |
                -P profile [, profile ...] | -R role [, role ...]
login

--

So it looks like the newlines are breaking these - is there a way to
suppress them or a better way to templatize this?   We're fairly new

Thanks,

Vince