Here is one idea I've had and tested ... but it has some obvious
drawbacks which I'll detail ... still wondering if there are others.

On the ca_server I did: puppetca --generate client

I then copied the following generated files:

ssl/private_keys/client.pem (certA)
ssl/ca/signed/client.pem (certB)

and packaged them into my puppet client RPM to be deployed on puppet
agents at the following paths:

ssl/private_keys/client.pem (certA)
ssl/certs/client.pem (certB)

Then on the puppet agent I editted puppet.conf with:

[agent]
certname = client
node_name = facter

certname tells the system what 'hostname' to use for the cert.  By
default node_name uses the certname to describe the node, so I changed
that to facter.

This seems to be working as far as being able to communicate with the
puppet server and pull configs.  The only problem I'm having is with
puppet-dashboard, that groups reports based on certname it seems
instead of hostname/fqdn ... so the couple of hosts I have with the
same cert do not have separate nodes in the puppet-dashboard.  :(  I
was hoping the node_name entry would take care of that, but it didn't.

Any thoughts on this approach, maybe even how to get dashboard to work
with this method?  Or is this a horrible idea?

Also, what is foreman and how could it help.  Not familiar with that
product.

Thanks,
Jake