OK, just had to post this!  I found a solution to my issues that may
help others.

http://glarizza.posterous.com/managing-puppet-ssl-certificates

Basically a CGI script located on you CA Server.  You can pass the
hostname/certname that you want to clean via http to the script and
have it clean it off the CA Server.  More details in the link above.
This is working great for me and I'll be using it until similar
functionality is included by default in puppet.

Regards,
Jake