Mohamed Lrhazi wrote:
> For each change to production systems, one has to submit a script
> detailing what changes will be made and how to revert them back.. I
> was wondering if any of you, who implemented something similar, would
> care to share how they did it.

There is no such thing as rollback. :)

I wrote roll in and roll out manifests and tested both.  The roll in
manifest made the required packages.  The roll out manifest reversed
those changes.

> Simply reverting puppet's own config to a previous repository version
> would not be enough in most cases, as it would not necessarily involve
> restoring overwritten files on the clients, if those files were not
> originally generated from puppet itself.

Files can be backed up remote file buckets.

> I guess Puppet's buckets would be involved in the answer, but my
> understanding is that they are not documented yet, correct? is such a
> feature planned for upcoming releases?

It is documented.

http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/2.6.7/type.html#filebucket

The feature already exists.