Thinking about the "change" and the "reverted to change" as two
different machine states, that both need to be coded in Puppet, is
definitely right answer, I am starting to understand. No way puppet
could figure out what how to get to the previous state.

In my case I think all our initial changes, as we add more and more to
puppet, will have a puppet-less 'revert" procedure:

- Change via puppet.
- Revert (the old way)t:
  for host in hosts:
     ssh to host