It sounds like you are solving the wrong problem.
Why do your users have root privs?
If they need root for some things, use sudo to give them
only what they need.  Or use suid/sgid mechanisms
to allow community access to certain resources.

If you need to lock down specific files look at the
immutable bit that some file systems have.

--
vagn