I don't know how helpful this would be but for now I think I found a
"workaround" of sorts for my small environment.

I commented out the following in my puppet.conf...

        facts_terminus = inventory_active_record
        dbadapter = mysql
        dbname = puppet_inv
        dbuser = puppet_inv
        dbpassword = cabb0ac9ed925867f93587ccfb147ebf15dec8a3
        dbserver = localhost
        dbsocket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

I got rid of all that and after 2 days of puppetmaster running I only
see a few entries when doing "lsof | grep puppetmas" rather than 100s.

I'm also not doing stored configs but I think those lines above were
still the problem as it was puppet interfacing with MySQL.

What potential benefit would be lost from not using MySQL for
"facts_terminus" ?

- Trey