Douglas,

I have to concur with disconnect, now that we are using Foreman, many
of the things we setup in the past to catch these things are now
redundant. I don't know why you "don't like" Foreman, but I have to
say along with our initial decision to use puppet, and managing our
configs with version control, adopting Foreman stands up there as one
of our big infrastructure management wins. (And we aren't even
using Foreman's provisioning capabilities).

May I ask why you don't like Foreman? (We were for a long time
hesitant to use Foreman, as it wasn't an "official" project, but we
had reached a point where we needed a new ENC, and a technical
evaluation of both Foreman and Dashboard lead us to the realization
that functionality-wise it was a lot closer to what we needed. (And I
suspect your needs may be similar to ours.)

Cheers,
Brian