On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Craig White <craig.wh...@ttiltd.com>wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and ruby-enterprise (not ubuntu ruby) and installed
> puppet via gem.
>
> How can I install puppet-dashboard if I don't see a gem available and if I
> use the ubuntu package, i get the whole slop of ruby packages sucked in
> (which i am trying to avoid)?

If you're using Ruby EE, I would simply check out the git repository with
the appropriate release tag you want and install it that way, as you'll be
satisfying dependencies manually outside your package manager anyway.

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-dashboard/blob/master/README.markdown

> # dpkg -i puppet-dashboard_1.1.0-1_all.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package puppet-dashboard.
> (Reading database ... 89313 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking puppet-dashboard (from puppet-dashboard_1.1.0-1_all.deb) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of puppet-dashboard:
>  puppet-dashboard depends on ruby; however:
>  Package ruby is not installed.
>  puppet-dashboard depends on ruby1.8 (>= 1.8.7); however:
>  Package ruby1.8 is not installed.
>  puppet-dashboard depends on rake (>= 0.8.3); however:
>  Package rake is not installed.
>  puppet-dashboard depends on dbconfig-common; however:
>  Package dbconfig-common is not installed.
>  puppet-dashboard depends on libdbd-mysql-ruby; however:
>  Package libdbd-mysql-ruby is not installed.
>  puppet-dashboard depends on rubygems; however:
>  Package rubygems is not installed.
>  puppet-dashboard depends on libhttpclient-ruby1.8; however:
>  Package libhttpclient-ruby1.8 is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing puppet-dashboard (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
>  puppet-dashboard
>
> build from source?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Craig White ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  craig.wh...@ttiltd.com
> 1.800.869.6908 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.ttiassessments.com
>
> Need help communicating between generations at work to achieve your desired
> success? Let us help!

Nigel Kersten
Product, Puppet Labs
@nigelkersten