On Jun 16, 2011, at 10:48 PM, Patrick wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Craig White wrote:
>
>> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and ruby-enterprise (not ubuntu ruby) and installed
>> puppet via gem.
>>
>> How can I install puppet-dashboard if I don't see a gem available and if I
>> use the ubuntu package, i get the whole slop of ruby packages sucked in
>> (which i am trying to avoid)?
>
> Frankly, I just let it install the packages because they won't do any harm.
> (I'm assuming you only use ruby for puppet)
>
> Here's how I got dashboard working: (Partly pesudo-code and I might be
> forgetting a step or two)
>

> get ruby-enterprise-1.8.7-2011.03.tar.gz
> untar and install ruby-enterprise-1.8.7-2011.03
>
> install puppet-dashboard from the repository
>
> put this file in /etc/apache2/mods-avaliable/passengeree.load:
> LoadModule passenger_module
> /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.7-2010.02/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-2.2.15/ext/apache2/mod_passenger.so
> PassengerRoot
> /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.7-2010.02/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-2.2.15
> PassengerRuby /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.7-2010.02/bin/ruby
>
> a2dismod ruby
> a2dismod passenger
> a2enmod passengeree
>
> /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/puppet-dashboard:
> # Based on http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Using_Passenger
> Listen 3000
> <VirtualHost *:3000>
>
>       # Passenger options that can be set in a virtual host
>       # configuration block.
>       PassengerHighPerformance on
>       PassengerStatThrottleRate 120
>       PassengerMaxPoolSize 3
>       PassengerPoolIdleTime 300
>       PassengerUseGlobalQueue on
>       RailsAutoDetect On
>       RailsEnv production
>
>       DocumentRoot /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/public/
>       <Directory /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/public/>
>               Options None
>               AllowOverride AuthConfig
>               Order allow,deny
>               allow from all
>       </Directory>
>       ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/puppet-dashboard_error.log
>       LogLevel warn
>       CustomLog /var/log/apache2/puppet-dashboard_access.log combined
>

> /etc/mysql/conf.d/innodb_file_per_table.cnf:
> #Without this isn't almost impossible to reclaim space from dashboard when
> reports are removed
> [mysqld]
> innodb_file_per_table=true
>
> service mysql restart
>
> cd /usr/share/puppet-dashboard/
> Run the proper rake task to create and populate the DBs
>
> service apache2 restart
----
actually the packages didn't cause me any harm (ubuntu 10.04), but the
existence of the second copy of rubygems was making me insane because it seemed
to always install gems in /usr/lib/ruby/ tree and thus it was hit or miss
whether gems would work or not work or use /usr/local/ruby tree or
/usr/lib/ruby tree so I had to get sanity by removing the ubuntu ruby packages.
I hadn't experienced that before with CentOS but then again, I haven't tried
running puppet (yet) or puppet-master (not likely) on CentOS.

Anyway, I have gotten (per list suggestion) Puppet Pro (James, you are a
god)[1] and will read through thoroughly before I try to figure out Dashboard
because even though Dashboard is up and running now, it isn't entirely clear
how to make it functional yet.

Downloading Dashboard and installing it did create some 'rack' issues
(apparently 1.0.1 is bundled w/ Dashboard and had to be removed and references
fixed)

Thanks

Craig

[1] actually to give credit to James is not meant to slight Luke, Nigel or any
of the developers who have created an incredibly awesome toolset in any way.