FYI
I don't know it it may be useful , but I've done this:
https://github.com/example42/puppet-modules/tree/master/iptables
which can be used in 2 ways:
- a "standard" iptable-save approach (set $iptables_config = "file" before
to enable it) with rules file defined in
https://github.com/example42/puppet-modules/blob/master/iptables/manifests/file.pp
(here you have to add source or content arguments to mange it with static
files or templates according to your need)
- an "automatic" way (default option when you include the module) that
dymanically builds iptables rules according to the modules you include and
the iptables related variables you set (see the README)
This actually works if you use the Example42 modules (or at least the
firewall defines included in each one).
It's quite nice to see it working adding or removing dynamically but, I must
admin, is a bit resource intensive (a puppet resoutce for each dymanic
rule).

Regards
Al @ Lab42