I have been working on doing something similar to this. We want to abstract for
multiple OS's and deal with the joy that is Solaris zones.

Essentially, it will be a resource that defines the fw rules in XML and then a
script takes all of those definitions and creates a complete set of firewall
rules.

I am waiting to hear back on our code release policy to see what it takes to
release it once I am done.

-- cwebber