On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:10:02 -0400, David Kavanagh wrote:

> I need to convert a value from facter to lower case for inclusion in a
> path. Is there a built-in function for that?
>
> David

Hm...doesn't actually look like there is.

% ls -1 lib/puppet/parser/functions
create_resources.rb
defined.rb
extlookup.rb
fail.rb
file.rb
fqdn_rand.rb
generate.rb
include.rb
inline_template.rb
md5.rb
realize.rb
regsubst.rb
require.rb
search.rb
sha1.rb
shellquote.rb
split.rb
sprintf.rb
tagged.rb
tag.rb
template.rb
versioncmp.rb

It would be pretty easy to add a custom function that does this (and we
really should have to_lower, and to_upper functions that are available
out of the box).

In the meantime, you should be able to do this with something like
(replacing upcase with downcase):

  file { "/tmp/bar":
    ensure => file,
    content => inline_template("<%= hostname.upcase %>")
  }

This was only tested against the current master branch of Puppet, so
your mileage may vary.

--
Jacob Helwig
,----