Thanks for the quick response.

That was something more out of desperation.  I saw something on the page
with regarding the inventory service that facts_terminus would cause it
to get facts from a yaml repository.  I am having the same issue
regardless of whether I use facts_terminus = yaml or the default of
facts_terminus = facter.

Thanks very much.

John Guthrie
jguth...@book.com

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 23:48 +0100, Ken Barber wrote:
> Is your config facts_terminus=yaml for a reason? Usually its 'facter'.
>
> ken.
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM, John T. Guthrie <jguth...@book.com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am running puppet 2.7.1 with mongrel and an apache proxy.  I have been
> > seeing an issue where it appears that the puppetmaster is completely
> > ignoring any facts that are sent to it.
> >
> > When a client connects, any configuration that relies on facts shows
> > those variables as being empty strings.  (I have been testing this with
> > a simple notify resource that prints out the IP address and the FQDN.
> > Both of these are coming up as empty strings.)  If I check the list of
> > facts for a node through the REST API, it comes up as an empty list.
> > Moreover, /var/lib/puppet/facts is persistently empty.  This has been
> > happening with every client that I have checked.
> >
> > If run a packet capture on the puppetmaster paying attention to the
> > puppetmaster ports, then I definitely see the puppetmaster receive the
> > facts in b64_zlib_yaml format.  I can even decode the facts string and
> > get the correct set of facts.  So the puppetmaster is definitely
> > receiving the facts.  However, in the same packet capture, I see the
> > puppetmaster return json for resources as if it had not received any
> > facts at all.
> >
> > I have even gone so far as to blow away my entire /var/lib/puppet
> > directory (except for the ssl), and try starting fresh to no avail.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can fix this?  I am attaching
> > my puppet.conf in case that will help.  Thanks in advance for any advice
> > that anyone has.
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > John Guthrie
> > jguth...@book.com

This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or
may be CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE
PROTECTED
BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) is intended only for the use of
the addressee(s) named herein.  If you are not an intended
recipient, please contact the sender immediately and take the
steps necessary to delete the message completely from your
computer system.

Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the
Uniform Electronic Transaction Act or any other law of similar
effect, absent an express statement to the contrary, this e-mail
message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
intended
to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and
are not otherwise intended to bind this sender,
barnesandnoble.com
llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other person or entity.