On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM, John T. Guthrie <jguth...@book.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am running puppet 2.7.1 with mongrel and an apache proxy.  I have been
> seeing an issue where it appears that the puppetmaster is completely
> ignoring any facts that are sent to it.
>
> When a client connects, any configuration that relies on facts shows
> those variables as being empty strings.  (I have been testing this with
> a simple notify resource that prints out the IP address and the FQDN.
> Both of these are coming up as empty strings.)  If I check the list of
> facts for a node through the REST API, it comes up as an empty list.
> Moreover, /var/lib/puppet/facts is persistently empty.  This has been
> happening with every client that I have checked.

Can you show your puppet manifests? Are you using $::ipaddress $::fqdn?

> If run a packet capture on the puppetmaster paying attention to the
> puppetmaster ports, then I definitely see the puppetmaster receive the
> facts in b64_zlib_yaml format.  I can even decode the facts string and
> get the correct set of facts.  So the puppetmaster is definitely
> receiving the facts.  However, in the same packet capture, I see the
> puppetmaster return json for resources as if it had not received any
> facts at all.
>
> I have even gone so far as to blow away my entire /var/lib/puppet
> directory (except for the ssl), and try starting fresh to no avail.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can fix this?  I am attaching
> my puppet.conf in case that will help.  Thanks in advance for any advice
> that anyone has.

Use this tip and see what puppet facts you are getting back on master:

http://www.puppetcookbook.com/posts/see-all-client-variables.html

The facts you get from the client should also reside in
$vardir/yaml/facts, and you can examine them to see what you have.

Thanks,

Nan