On Aug 22, 11:46 am, Stefan Schulte <stefan.schu...@taunusstein.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 08:19:35AM -0700, jcbollinger wrote:
>
> > On Aug 21, 2:56 pm, Brian Troutwine <br...@troutwine.us> wrote:

[...]

> > >   Problem is that mount conflates the name of the
> > > resource with it's mount path; I'm defining the same thing two ways each
> > > time. I _could_ write out my own fstab as a file resource, but that
> > > somewhat
> > > defeats the purpose of even having a mount type. Am I missing something?
> > > Is
> > > it possible to have multiple swap spaces with puppet?
>
> > I'm guessing that this is not supported, but here's a long shot: try
> > altering your second variation to use the 'path' property instead of
> > 'name' (even though the docs say it's deprecated).  Even if that
> > works, I recommend filing a ticket: I see no inherent reason why
> > Puppet shouldn't be able to handle this.
>
> This wouldnt work because you have two lines in fstab that match each
> mount resource (one in sync, the other one is not (because device is
> wrong). And I dont see a way out of it.

Well it's a question of the definition of "match", now isn't it?  Unix
permits different file systems to be mounted on the same (logical)
mount point, as the OP's example demonstrates.  Unix -- some flavors,
at least -- also permit the same device to be mounted on multiple
mount points.  But it is not meaningful or useful to define the same
device mounted more than once on the same mount point, so there *is* a
unique key for fstab entries and mounted file systems.

On a more abstract level, if it's meaningful to the system to have two
fstab entries with some particular properties in common, then Puppet's
resource model both can and should support that.  That's not to say
that the current version of Puppet supports it -- I strongly suspect
it doesn't.  But some future version certainly could and should, hence
my recommendation to file a ticket.

John