Peter,

Puppet works great on gentoo with the following caveats:
- Puppet conceptually uses a binary package paradigm, and one needs to
work around that.  It would be nice if we could extend puppet for
gentoo to make it more "source based distribution aware" and
especially allow it to manage portage configuration files and limit
compile times/etc.
- Do to the differences between binary and source, one frequently will
setup puppet to run only once/day on server nodes during off peak
hours so that any compiling/package dependencies will not occur during
critical periods - and if possible, all compiling will occur on the
build server prior to puppet agent calls on other nodes.
- Gentoo supports more cron systems than puppet supports (last I
checked, puppet did not support fcron)
- Gentoo admins are slightly behind redhat/fedora admins in writing
public modules, this is an area where there is a significant amount of
activity and I hope we can eventually catch up on.
- The handling of dependencies and libraries is not clear cut, and one
usually has to create a separate script to run after puppet to ensure
linking is correct and that python/perl/etc modules are happy.

There are additional issues, but all of them to date can be reasonably
overcome/managed.  I've been in contact with many admins w/ larger
sized clusters and improving the puppet experience on gentoo is a
frequent topic of conversation.  I wouldn't be discouraged by any
initial issues
you find.

Matt

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Peter Berghold <salty.cowd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doing a google after I sent the email I found the following page:
>
> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Puppet_Gentoo
>
> after doing a "emerge eix" and re-running the puppet transaction things
> *look* to be going normally.... can't tell for sure since it is still
> running and it is not generating any spew for me to look at.
>
> I'll know in a while if it worked.
>

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM, James Turnbull <ja...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Peter Berghold wrote:
>> > Now I get:
>> > err: Could not prefetch package provider 'portage': Command update_eix
>> > is missing
>> >
>> > I'm running puppet 2.7.3 on both the puppet master and the client.   Any
>> > thoughts?
>>
>> Caveat: I am not a Gentoo person.
>>
>> Is the binary update_eix present on the host?
>>
>> James
>>
>> --
>> James Turnbull
>> Puppet Labs
>> 1-503-734-8571
>>
>> Join us for PuppetConf <http://www.bit.ly/puppetconfsig>, September 22nd
>> and 23rd in Portland, Oregon, USA.
>>
>> --

> Peter L. Berghold
> Owner, Shark River Technical Solutions LLC

Matthew Marlowe
m...@professionalsysadmin.com
Senior Internet Infrastructure Consultant         DevOps/VMware/SysAdmin
https://www.twitter.com/deploylinux                       Gentoo Linux Dev

           "Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form
              of every virtue at the testing point."  -- C.S. Lewis