> This comes down to the package provider depending on eix, which is
> presumably some sort of interface to portage that isn't standard;
> fixing the provider should fix the problem there.  That pretty much
> depends on someone who cares sending an appropriate patch.  (hint ;)

That's probably most of it.  Can you provide a link to the file(s) on
github within the puppet source specific to the gentoo packaging
provider?  I'll see if I can find to review it and consider extending
or updating it to understand more of the gentoo build specific
procedures.  I'm not sure if this might require adding new keywords or
resources, or if we're just talking about setting and creating class
variables that the provider would interpret and implement.

>> - The handling of dependencies and libraries is not clear cut, and one
>> usually has to create a separate script to run after puppet to ensure
>> linking is correct and that python/perl/etc modules are happy.
>
> You *should* be able to tie that together with an appropriate exec to
> at least automate it.

Yes and no -- it's not a clear cut process.  Most of the time there
are just a few calls after a package is installed, but frequently
you'll want to limit those calls until all other package operations
are complete, and/or run the calls over and over to slowly resolve
dependencies if there is a failure.  Some of the calls can also be
quite expensive so they are only run when certain packages are
modified - so there might be a bit of intelligence that has to be
stored in code to get a fully optimized robust solution.  Differing
versions of portage can also have an impact/etc.

> Daniel
> --
> ⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
> ♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons

Matthew Marlowe
m...@professionalsysadmin.com
Senior Internet Infrastructure Consultant         DevOps/VMware/SysAdmin
https://www.twitter.com/deploylinux                       Gentoo Linux Dev

           "Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form
              of every virtue at the testing point."  -- C.S. Lewis