I'm thinking the answer is to update your init script, to make sure that
restart calls rndc reload, and specify "hasrestart" in your resource
definition.

I suggest this because bind should ignore bad zone files, and keep serving
the old zones, when reloaded via rndc.

Maybe the answer is to also incorporate named-checkzone and some sort of
email notification into the restart section of your init script.

As always test, and you milage may vary.

Cheers,
Brian

<http://aws.amazon.com/solutions/solution-providers/brandorr/>