Thats because puppet isn't a tool meant to build applications from source. You
could do it but its one of those things where it doesn't make sense.

If you need to build from SVN, you might as well look at something like Jenkins
that can monitor an SCM and pull out changes and do a bunch of things around
it. Then package it up into an RPM, which puppet handles nicely from my
experience.

run deck might be a good solution for you on your problem in terms of deploying
to one system first before the others. If you had the knowledge with writing
web applications you could easily use MCollective to do that too and put a nice
GUI in front of the job.