Over the years many shops have come to start running puppet via cron to
address memory leaks in earlier versions of Ruby, but the official position
was that puppet was meant to be run as a continually running service.

I am wondering if the official position has changed. On one hand many if not
all of the early Ruby issues have been fixed, on the other, the addition of
mcollective into the mix as a lightweight agent for triggering adhoc puppet
runs, and other tasks somewhat lowers the requirements for puppet to be run
as a service. (Or out of cron for that matter).

I understand that in cases where old Ruby versions are for whatever reason
mandated the answer may be different.

Thanks,
Brian

--