On Sep 23, 5:42 pm, Brian Gupta <brian.gu...@brandorr.com> wrote:
> Over the years many shops have come to start running puppet via cron to
> address memory leaks in earlier versions of Ruby, but the official position
> was that puppet was meant to be run as a continually running service.
>
> I am wondering if the official position has changed. On one hand many if not
> all of the early Ruby issues have been fixed, on the other, the addition of
> mcollective into the mix as a lightweight agent for triggering adhoc puppet
> runs, and other tasks somewhat lowers the requirements for puppet to be run
> as a service. (Or out of cron for that matter).
>
> I understand that in cases where old Ruby versions are for whatever reason
> mandated the answer may be different.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> --
> <http://aws.amazon.com/solutions/solution-providers/brandorr/>

Could those memory leak problems cause the Puppet daemon to crash with
no logs indicating why?  I have about 20 systems all running CentOS 5
and 6, with Puppet 2.6.9, and I now have to have Zabbix run a "/etc/
init.d/puppet start" everytime the daemon crashes which is almost on a
daily basis for every client.  Would be interested to know of a known
fix or if the only "fix" is the workaround of using Cron.

Thanks
- Trey