So again quoting Dexter (who should really be participating in this
discussion himself :-P). Perhaps a more POSIX purist set of facts
based around the posix/opengroup standards would be desirable:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009604599/basedefs/sys/utsname.h.html
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/uname.html

For example ...

uname_nodename: is uname -n only and isn't contrived
uname_release: is uname -r
uname_version: is uname -v
...etc...

This duplicates a lot of facts in behaviour - but sticks to the posix
compliance interpretation only. I'm not 100% on weither this is the
correct approach but the idea sounds sane enough - the question is
really if it is core worthy or not. If this is implemented how many
people would prefer or use this directly (besides Doug of course - who
has made his sentiments clear :-P)?

My main concern here is that this implementation is not truly
cross-platform - only POSIX specific (which is pretty good coverage
anyway - but not complete). The point and vision of facter (and most
puppet resources) is to provide cross-os compatibility where possible
if anything providing a later that binds POSIX and other non-posix OS
to one type of data ... so I see these facts as binding puppet content
to POSIX only machines. So while the interface may be there ... we
would want to be careful to avoid using it directly in cross-os
resources and puppet code. Having said that, this would not be the
first time we have had to provide OS specific facts :-).

IMO - If implemented I can envision providing this interface and on
POSIX machines just using these facts to glean things like
'kernelversion' on compatible machines instead of duplicating the
uname -v call again.

ken.