If it's a straightforward compilation, you should be able to do this with a
set of chained execs.

For instance, a file resource to push the tarball, then an exec to extract
it (which depends on the tarball), an exec to configure it (which depends on
the previous exec), and an exec to install it (which depends on the
configuration exec), and a service (which depends on the install exec).

Using names for the exec steps (rather than just the command as the name,
use a custom name and specify the command parameter), you should be able to
overwrite the configuration exec in a sub-class appropriately.

--
Nathan Clemons
http://www.livemocha.com