----- Original Message -----
> Hi All,
>
> I have a  requirement to initiate puppet runs of different services
> in a phase wise manner.  I have the following setup in my nodes.pp

you seem to be on roughly the right track

> node /^(host1|host2)\.domain\.local$/ inherits basenode {
>          include role_service1
> }
>

> node /^(host3|host4)\.domain\.local$/ inherits basenode {
>          include role_service2
> }

I'd make these a module and do something like roles::services1 and
roles::services2

> Now i want to run puppet on host1 and host3 and then on host2 and
> host4. In short i would like to group the hosts into phases
>
> phase1 - host1|host3
> phase2 - host2|host4

alternatively you can create a custom fact that sets which phase a node
is in

> I would like to make a class something like phase1 and phase2 and
> then use mcollective to initiate a puppet run:
>
> mco puppetd -Wphase1 runonce.

with your 2 includes above you can just do: mco puppetd -W role_service1 runonce

or if you went the fact route do;

mco puppetd -W phase=1 runonce