how big is the directory structure?

we've had incredibly painful experiences trying to manage directory
perms/ownerships on large directory trees...
so much so that we only set the perms on a few of the top level
directories and left the rest

it's something to do with needing to do an md5 and stat on every file
in the tree that slows it down

how important is it that the permissions are forced?
we decided eventually that the file attr wouldn't necessarily change
unless someone had access to the directory via ssh..
and only the sys admins do to the server in question anyway

hopefully there's a better way of doing it ... calling all gurus?

cheers,
Andrew