Hi,

On 11/01/2011 02:42 PM, Luke Bigum wrote:
> It also has to do with Puppet's implementation of File resources: it
> creates in memory Ruby objects for every file and directory it finds
> recursively, so combine that with the md5 summing and you'll blow out
> your CPU and memory usage very quickly. I've done something like this
> in the past:

seeing as this isn't mentioned in this thread yet:

When recursing through directory trees, you most likely want to specify

checksum => "none"

in your file resource. This didn't help in puppet 0.25, but since 2.6
I've used it to great benefit.

Still, large-ish trees with lots of (small) files will still take a very
long time due to the other effect noted above.

Cheers,
Felix