On Nov 27, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Nigel Kersten wrote:
> If there's a parse error in the manifests, that will be shown, but only each
> time Puppet re-parses them.
> If you're definitely seeing modules fail to parse, with no errors being
> thrown, and then the class subsequently can't be found, please bug report, as
> that's definitely a bug. You shouldn't be completely "blind" here.

Assuming that what you say above is right, I would suggest that showing the
error only once is only useful for single-digit puppet installations. The
problem here is that I have 500+ nodes.  So let's say I'm adjusting a module
and testing the effect with "--test".  I adjust the module code, then I run
"puppet agent --test" on the node which should be affected, and I don't see the
error message related to my changes -- only this complaint that the module
isn't found.  Perhaps some other node hit the server first (with about 10 nodes
connected at any time, this is fairly likely) and you reported the error to it
-- but how can I see this? Should I stumble around on 500 nodes and try to
figure out which one contains the error?

The current mechanism is not useful in any medium-size installation, nevermind
the larger ones (10k+ nodes) which I've worked on before.

--
Jo Rhett
Net Consonance : consonant endings by net philanthropy, open source and other