I want to use Puppet for things like installing Scheduled Tasks and
MSI packages, which I don't expect would work under cygwin.

I know it's not supported on XP, but gave it a try anyway. The
PuppetLabs folks said it "should" work, and were able to get it to run
on one of their machines.

I've narrowed the problem down to "facter puppetversion" hanging. All
other facter facts work fine.