Ok, I've resolved this. The reason puppet wasn't able to make the database
connections, any database for that matter, was the rubygem-activerecord
package wasn't installed. I figured this out by switching back to
puppetmasterd and running with "--debug --no-daemonize --verbose" and
seeing the message "ActiveRecord 2.1 or later required for StoreConfigs" in
the output. Running puppet via Passenger really didn't provide any useful
logs.

FYI...I getting this packages from this, and Passenger, from the OBS
devel:/languages:/ruby:/extensions repository.
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/ruby:/extensions/openSUSE_11.3/

Thanks!
--
Later,