On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 08:25 -0800, ollies...@googlemail.com wrote:

> On Dec 20, 4:16 pm, Brice Figureau <brice-pup...@daysofwonder.com>
> wrote:

> > > Thanks.
> >
> > > Have got a copy of the book and that is what I was working from. As
> > > per the
> > > example in the book it's fine running the CA's in the localhost sort
> > > of mode
> > > but when switching from locahost to other servers off the load-
> > > balancer server
> > > I get the cert errors:-
> >
> > > err: /File[/var/lib/puppet/lib]: Failed to generate additional
> > > resources using 'eval_generate: certificate verify failed.  This is
> > > often because the time is out of sync on the server or client
> >
> > > Do I have to clean out the puppetmaster setup on the load-balancer
> > > host ?
> >
> > > On the CA servers I removed the ssldir and ran "puppet master" to
> > > generate a
> > > new ssl data.
> >
> > > Then with a new client I get the new cert generated but then the above
> > > error.
> >
> > That's expected because when the client connects to one of your
> > loadbalanced server it receives a certificate that was signed/generated
> > under the previous CA. You actually need your loadbalanced masters to
> > get a certificate from your current CA. This certificate will then be
> > used when talking to your nodes.
>
> But the Apache LB settings are sending the certificate stuff to the
> seperate
> CA server (I can see this in the logs) and the CA has the signed cert
> in the
> puppet cert --list --all but it still complains on the client.

The client is supposed to validate the certificate server. It does this
by checking the certificate the server sent against its locally cached
CA certificate.

In your case, depending on how your LB is working, it might be possible
the SSL endpoint is your LB. In which case this is the one that will
send the server certificate. Make sure this one sends a certificate that
was generated by the loadbalanced CA.

--
Brice Figureau
Follow the latest Puppet Community evolutions on www.planetpuppet.org!