Thanks for all the help but I have failed in this and decided to
change tack a little.
With no better results :)

Here is what the current attempt is.

2 Apache Load-Balancers which will be CA's and therefore entry points
for clients. These
will be in active/standby solution on RHEL6 with heartbeat.

The virtual IP will be called puppet.domain.fqdn the physical node
names will be different
of course.

The PuppetMaster processes will be a load balanced pool underneath to
allow the horizontal
scaling and with active/standby LB's and CA's should not have a SPOF

Client will then connect to the VIP which will do the certificate
checks on the LB server
and then pass to the puppetmaster pool.

Load-Balancer/CA structures kept in place with rsync or some-such.

Still failing with the CA setup against it's realname, setup with
generate on the puppet.domain.fqdn
name, and setup with certname = puppet.domain.fqdn and then calling
puppet master removing the ssldir
between each.

They all failed to allow clients to get a valid cert:-
err: Could not request certificate: Retrieved certificate does not
match private key; please remove certificate from server and
regenerate it with the current key

Now I just assume I am being brain-dead and doing silly things with
fatigue to get this working with a VIP.
Or is this setup without a SPOF really just not possible ?

Thanks
Paul