I'm new to Puppet, and I'm a software developer, not a sysadmin, so be
gentle. I have puppet managing some files via templates, and one of
the template variables that needs to be plugged in is a password of
sorts that shouldn't be generally available. In particular, it can't
be stored in the manifest, as that's stored in version control, and
the password shouldn't be available there. Basically, the only place
it's okay for this password to be stored is on the systems that will
be using it.

What would be the "Puppet way" of getting this string into the
configuration?